Monday, March 30, 2009

I exhaled.... then my world fell apart


I finally got pregnant and this weekend I relived the nightmare of miscarrying again. It was on the 14th that I took the pregnancy test. I had completely missed my period and I just had a feeling. When the second line appeared, I fell to my knees and thanked God for this incredible blessing. We had waited so long. I ran in to show Adam and he thought it was another negative because I couldn't stop crying. The excitement slowly started to turn into worry. As anyone who has experienced a miscarriage knows, you start to count down the days until you reach the safe zone. You start to notice every little pain, you can't stop looking for blood. I stopped sleeping very well because I was afraid I would awake to live my biggest fear. Time goes by and I have to keep telling myself that I only have a 13% chance of losing this one. It started to drive me insane. I felt paralyzed because what if I mess this up. I can't loss this one. I want this baby with my whole heart. It was complete hell.
I passed the 6 week mark and things still seemed good. I think this is going to work. 5 days later and out of nowhere my worst fear in the entire world surfaced. There was the dreaded streak of blood. I feel to the floor in disbelief. How could this be happening again? Why does God give this hope and then smash it. You can bleed and still have the baby, but deep down inside I knew. I lived through this trial by going to the bathroom with the lights off and my iPod on so I wouldn't have to see all the blood or hear the splatter of my precious little one falling into the toilet. I longed for my baby and now I had to feel it being ripped out from the inside of me. I pray that none of you ever have to go through this, especially twice. Adam was amazing. He did everything for me including checking to see if I was bleeding enough to go to the hospital. I didn't want to see the blood.
After we had both cried our eyes out, there was an amazing peace that came into our home.
We have always tossed around the idea of adoption but it was always a future thought and somewhat of a back up plan. However it came in really strong for the both of us. Now on what should have been the worst day of our lives, we were happy and calm.
There is no explanation as to why we haven't been able to be successful at the baby making. We could try again, but I feel like our kids will come into the world another way. We're really happy. Isn't it amazing how even your biggest fears can turn into an amazing gift from our Heavenly Father?
The adoption process will be long and hard, but I know it will all work out. Our first step is to pay off our credit cards and get into a house by the end of the year. We also need to raise the money for the adoption cost which will take some time. I'm sure I'll be writing more on how you can all help with this in the future. Then there is the paperwork and the adoption classes. Our goal is to have everything set and be waiting a year from now. We are so incredibly happy about our decision. If there is anyone with any advice, please comment. So it's official....We are going to adopt!!!!!

10 comments:

tnralvords said...

Adam and Cass,

My heart sunk for you guys reading this. I am incredibly sorry that you had to go through this. Really if you ever need anything please let us know. I am so excited that you guys are going to adopt though. One of my friends has adopted two kids and another friend is taking adoption classes right now so, if you have any questions please let me know and I am sure they would love to help you out. (hugs)

There and back again...and again... said...

Hey Cassie and Adam,

My heart is aching for what you have been going through but I am so happy to hear of the way Adam takes care of you. I think he loves you more than any man has ever loved a woman. I am so glad you found each other!

I love your plans and I am sure that things will come together because you two work hard to achieve your goals and you always finish what you start! We will keep our eyes and ears open out this way.

Now Cassie, I know you are always worried about losing weight but I think you should eat real well now to get your strength back. You need to feel well. Take good care of yourself! Both you and Adam. (Sounding like the nagging Aunt...lol)

You know, it took Wayne and I over a year to get pregnant the first time and then there were almost 4 years in between Rashelle and Michael. I was wondering if we would ever have another child. I also miscarried one year after Michael was born. It is such a sad time but when you stay positive and trust in the Lord you can get through it.

We love you both and miss you!

Uncle Wayne and Aunt Terra

Jen Jarrett said...

This was an incredible post. My heart and prayers go out to you two. You are two of the most wonderful people I know and I know that however and whenever children come into your lives they will be very lucky to have 2 such incredible parents. I am excited for your decision and will eagerly wait the updates!

Dirtius Wifius said...

I love you guys. This is a tough place to be, but I know you'll be okay. My bro and sis-in-law had 3 miscarriages before one stuck and the baby still had to come 2 months early because my sis-in-law's body just couldn't do it. The docs told them never again. They've now adopted 6 kids, so they have 7. They got the big family they wanted. :)

Adoption can be really difficult and even disappointing. Hang in there and know that it will all work out for the best. Our prayers are with you!

Heather (and Brent and Felix and Amelia)

Dirtius Wifius said...

Oh, and if you need any help or advice or anything like that, I know my sis-in-law would love to speak to you. She's awesome!

Also, I have two cousins who have recently gone through the process...

Just let me know how I can help. :) Love you!

Rob Morris said...

Good luck with the adoption process. You have my assistance and prayers on your side.

Shannon said...

Oh Cassie, reading your blog made me cry and smile at the same time! Im SO sorry you had to go through that again...I shudder just thinking about it. One time is hard enough...but twice?! I wish I could give you a great big hug!!

Im super glad that something positive has come from this experience. Its hard when things dont go our way, but Heavenly Father definitely has a plan for each of us. PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do to help out!!! Love you guys and GOOD LUCK! :D

Bronda Bailey said...

Just as everyone has said, I am so sorry for the pain you have gone through, but I am so happy that you have felt at peace with the decision to adopt. When Ron and I decided to adopt it was that same feeling. After all the trying and hoping and praying, to be lead to adopt was so comforting. We both still feel that way and know that one day we will probably still adopt. We are here to help you any way we can. When you get approved we will be happy to spread your names around, pass out cards, or anything else to help you get the baby (or babies) that you so deserve. We love you guys and pray for you.

Michael and Morgan said...

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. But on the other hand I am so excited to hear that you are adopting!!! We will be here for you guys every step of the way!!!

Marci said...

Cassie, you are so strong! I'm really proud of you for finding the blessing in your trial. And I can get you some information on adoption if you'd like; one of the programs in my office is adoptions and their fees are really low compared to other agencies. Check out their website if you're interested: www.cssutah.org