Tuesday, October 30, 2012

A Celebration of Life


Losing a parent is by far one of the most difficult experiences I have ever encountered.  It is as if someone has shot a hole through your stomach then asked you to go on with life like you usually do.  So here you are with this gaping wound trying to vacuum your living room and you can't help but wonder if there is a point to the shallow activities of life.  Worries of the past just seem so silly, everything seems so silly.  Then I look at my little man and and I vacuum because there is no other choice but to pick up the pieces and move forward.
His services turned out so beautifully.  He never wanted a funeral filled with sadness and regret, he wanted a party.  A party that most likely included booze, but sorry dad that was not an option.  We had display tables full of his belongings and pictures.

We also made it more of a mingle with an open mic to share stories and love.  We also played his "Music To Die To" playlist.  I seriously love that he had such a playlist and it has inspired me to make my own.  It was so great to hear all his cop friends share their crazy adventures.  It taught me that my dad was a genetic freak of nature who has survived a lot of things he shouldn't have and that he had the biggest heart in the world.  I am truly amazed by how many people turned out to show their respect.  Thank you.



I owe a big thank you the Salt Lake City Police Department who honored my father so beautifully 

and to Teresa who I barely know but love so much, you were such a great help through all of this  

and to all of you who sent card and flowers.  Thank you, you can't imagine how much stuff like that really helps the heartache.   


Dad, We Love You.  May you rest in peace.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I have never been able to put losing a parent into words but yous put it so perfectly. I am sorry for your loss. I can't say i know exactly how you feel because every situaton is so different, but i do k.ow how hard it is losing a parent. It's like a part of you dies with them. Let me know if you ever need to talk!